Sunday, November 18, 2007

maximizing utility

Been hanging out all the Actuarial students for too long now and some of their work is rubbing off on me... Here is me attempting to maximize utility of a fixed cost item...
I decided to get myself a travel weekly as a treat to myself after all the hard work and an excuses to explore Sydney... Got the travel weekly with the train function as well as the price difference was not that great... But in so doing, I had to use it everyday and go out everyday! He he he any excuse to get out of the house... I used the bus to get everywhere and hence I did not get my usual dose of exercise between MUV and Macquarie Center...
As for the train sector, I decided at the spur of the moment to go from Town Hall Station to Chatswood to pick up a can of Hot and Spicy SPAM. Well had to do so isn't it as I had to get value for money from the card! Then of course, it was 545 from Chatswood to Macquarie followed by 292 from Macquarie to MUV...
Ferries were another adventure, Natalie and I decided to explore Taronga Zoo which was great as there was a nice strong breeze but the sun was another story- I came back looking burnt and red!

By the way, I inserted my Travel weekly so many times that the dates are all faded at the back of
it... But I feel really good as I think I have really maximized the utility of the card and have gotten as much out of it as possible!

Well it is just about the end of my adventure of being a Master student in Sydney... Wonder where to next... And have to utilize the last few weeks of being able to travel around as a student on concession here...

2 comments:

Xin Yin said...

a nice one joy. lol..economics is influential

joy in sydney said...

he he he... well it has to be useful some time...