Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Gyms and nibbles


I went to the gym for the first time today. Actually signed up last week but well this and that got the better of me. But today I found company to go so off I went happily trooping along after class which was 6.45pm. The gym was an experience unto itself.

First locating the ladies room was a challenge. It was round the gym, up a flight of stairs, along a corridor and then discretely hidden in a corner is the ladies. It sure smelt good in there and it is the coolest part of the gym.

Next it was down to hit the machines. I found a bicycle to ride but was stuck beside a rather aromatic person who was oozing what he has been eating. Not the best of smells and inspiration while attempting to work out. The bicycle was a challenge as I could not get the seat just right. I kept slipping down and it was hard work keeping myself supported. But I did it- I survived for the time I needed to be on the bike.

Off I went to try the stepper machine and that was a lot of fun. The stepper is an interesting machine. I think it is not as challenging as a thread mill. I think I shall go for a proper cross trainer the next time I am in the gym. The stepper does not give me the challenge I need...

Well I was reminded that I had to stay fit and not put on an excessive amount of weight as the food here has a tendency for that to happen. Guess so if I start to nibble on all the yummy cookies and deserts... But the good news is that they are not calling out to me at all. Have found some rather interesting things to nibble on-
Fruits before they become the end of a romance and have to wait till they come in season again.
Nuts and lots of nuts. Although I have been reading that I should eat raw nuts over roasted nuts. Anybody have any theories about this?
Salads with lots of green stuff and red stuff...
There is post grad drinks on Friday night. Will be going for that... Interesting thing to note is that for the first year undergrads they get a barbecue and for post grads they get champagne and fondue. Hmm...

Right it is an early night for me- am going to hit the bed before midnight for a change and before the carriage turns into a pumpkin once again.
Till next time....

No comments: